Dr. Samantha Monk Grigsby, PhD
I am a clinical psychologist licensed in New York and Colorado. I earned my Doctorate in Clinical and School Psychology from Hofstra University in New York. Prior to my doctoral training, I received a Masters degree, with distinction, in General Psychology from New York University and Bachelors degree in psychology from the University of Colorado, Boulder. As part of my doctoral training, I completed a pre-doctoral Clinical Psychology internship at the Veterans Affairs Hudson Valley Healthcare System and a pre-doctoral School Psychology Internship in the Great Neck, NY school district. After receiving my doctorate, I completed my postdoctoral fellowship in Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Dialectical Behavior Therapy at CBT/DBT Associates, a private practice group in New York City.
Currently, I provide psychological services through my private practice located in Boulder, CO. In Boulder, I am an affiliate of the Boulder Center for Cognitive and Behavior Therapies. Prior to opening my practice in Colorado, I served as a Staff Psychologist and Director of the Treatment for Performance-Related Anxiety and Panic Disorder program at CBT/DBT Associates. As a clinician at CBT/DBT Associates, I served as an individual therapist in the CBT program, an individual therapist and skills group leader in CBT/DBT Associate’s Comprehensive Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program, as well as a child psychologist in the Child, Adolescent and Family Services program.
I have also enjoyed teaching throughout my career. Most recently, I served as the Director of Clinical and Scientific Engagement at the Raimy Clinic at the University of Colorado Boulder. In this position I oversaw and supervised the clinical training of the Clinical Psychology PhD students in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience. Formerly, I served as an adjunct professor at the University of Denver in the Graduate School of Professional Psychology, teaching cognitive behavioral therapy to graduate students. Prior to this, I was a Clinical Instructor at Bellevue Hospital Center, New York University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, where I provided cognitive behavioral therapy supervision to advanced psychiatry residents. In addition to academia, I have presented at a number of professional conferences and provided workshops and seminars on CBT and DBT to consumers and professionals. In addition, I have supervised graduate students and post doctoral fellows training in a private practice context.
I have great passion for the therapies I provide. Throughout my career, I have sought extensive training and experience in evidence-based treatments, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). I have had specialty training and experience working across the lifespan with adults, adolescents and children. My clinical expertise focuses on a wide range of problems, including anxiety, panic, worry, depression, test anxiety, sports performance anxiety, posttraumatic stress disorder, substance abuse, insomnia, relationship problems, and daily stressors.
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from Hofstra University. Dr. Monk’s dissertation, advised by William Sanderson, PhD., examined the potential treatment efficacy of Cognitive Therapy, Behavior Therapy and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for claustrophobic anxiety.
- M.A. in General Psychology, with distinction, from New York University. Dr. Monk’s Thesis was conducted at the Rockefeller University in New York City, based on Clinical Neuropsychological research investigating the neurocognitive, behavioral and social development of children with a genetic disorder called 22q11 Deletion Disorder.
- B.A. in Psychology from the University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Licensed Psychologist and Post-doctoral Fellow at CBT/DBT Associates, a private practice group in New York City providing individual and group treatment to children, teens, and adults, supervision to psychology externs and post-doctoral fellow, and professional training workshops to mental health clinicians.
- Director of the Treatment Program for Performance-Related Anxiety and Panic Disorder program, providing treatment for panic disorder, test anxiety, theatrical/musical performance anxiety, and sports/competition anxiety, at CBT/DBT Associates, a private practice group in New York City
- Pre-doctoral Clinical Psychology Intern at VA-Hudson Valley Healthcare System in Montrose, conducting residential and outpatient treatment for veterans presenting with post-traumatic stress disorder and substance abuse.
- Pre-doctoral School Psychology Intern in the Great Neck, NY School District, psycho-educational evaluations and providing school-based intervention for children ages 5-11.
- Graduate Psychology Externship at the American Institute for Cognitive Therapy, a private practice group in midtown Manhattan, provided cognitive behavioral and dialectical behavior therapy.
- Director of Clinical and Scientific Engagement at the Raimy Clinic, the University of Colorado Boulder, Department of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Adjunct Professor at the University of Denver, Graduate School of Professional Psychology.
- Clinical Instructor at Bellevue Hospital Center, NYU School of Medicine in the Department of Psychiatry providing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy supervision to PGY-III psychiatry residents on clinical cases.
- Psychologist, Colorado State
- Psychologist, New York State